The day is almost here . . . that's right - we're only a few days away from Halloween!

There's no shortage of scary stories to read and tell this weekend: you've read (and wrote) 10-word scary stories; you've experienced the "hauntings" in the Shadow House app; you used story starters to write your own creepy tales; and, of course, you got chills and thrills reading Shadow House #1: The Gathering.

But today, I want to share with you a special kind of scary story: the urban legend. An urban legend is typically a terrifying tale circulated as if it were true - think of all the "Based on a true story" movies you've seen or books you've read.

This is probably my favorite kind of story because there's the "what if...?" factor attached to each one. Here are just a few of my favorites:

La Llorona (The Crying Woman) is one that always pops up around my city around Halloween!

What about the legend of the Bunny Man and his haunting of "Bunny Man Bridge"?

And the classic haunted house legend - what town doesn't have one? You know, the building that's been abandoned for decades, where screams are occasionally heard, ghosts are occasionally seen, and the few who dare venture inside occasionally disappear? Sound familiar?

So get in the haunted Halloween spirit and share your favorite urban legends in the thread below!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

There are many legends associated with my City, courtesy of the 500 year old fort that served as the capital of most of peninsular India for many decades.

They say on new moon nights, the words "Uncle, save me!" can be heard around the fort, and multiple ghosts can be seen or heard in the area.

• Posted at:

Chai @^@

2010-2016 : 6 years as a Cahill

The Lord of the Books!

The Inventor of the Gavinometer!

King of the 39 Clues Fandom!

Horizoner, Greencloak, SQ, Madrigal, Amulet Keeper, Shadow House Special

Since the very start!

ChaiHam or ChaiJavi

I don't know many urban legends, but I do know that some people consider Jeff the Killer or Slender Man to be urban legends.

I've heard of the Moth Man, though I don't know much about it.

I always thought it would be cool to start my own urban legend and see how far the story would spread...

• Posted at:

Kit Syzygy

Spooky Queen of Rabbits & Eldritch Things

"Tastes like clown..."

IT'S ALMOST HALLOWEEN

IT'S TIME IT'S TIME IT'S TIME IT'S TIME

TO GET

SPOOKY

one of the 6% who believe Rakes are shy & lovable creatures, copy & paste if you agree

And in Alabama, there's the *laugh* legends of *laugh* Craig Digsby, *snicker* the forest druids, and *laugh* The Operator! *laying on the floor giggling creepily*

• Posted at:

Kit Syzygy

Spooky Queen of Rabbits & Eldritch Things

"Tastes like clown..."

IT'S ALMOST HALLOWEEN

IT'S TIME IT'S TIME IT'S TIME IT'S TIME

TO GET

SPOOKY

one of the 6% who believe Rakes are shy & lovable creatures, copy & paste if you agree

*Pokes Kit* You're not giggling creepily. You can't send audio files over this forum so therefore, I do not hear you giggling creepily.

And yes... The legend of the Operator.... *clap.**clap.**clap.* (I wish there was a sarcastic clapping emoticon.) Scream.... It's so terrifying that my six year old sister sits there asking annoying questions (I mean OBVIOUSLY IT'S NOT SLENDERMAN, SLENDERMAN HAS TENTACLES, JULIA, THE OPERATOR DOESN'T I ALREADY TOLD YOU THIS) and being not-scared... (Okay, so to be fair, she's probably one of the only little sisters who like cute fluffy animals in the world who is enough undisturbed by Happy Tree Friends to give me an opinion of "bleh.")

And oh no. It is the legend of Craig Digsby. Gasp. It is the one thing I got my sister to watch on YouTube willingly. His powers must be [Double italics begin] amazing [Double italics end (They really need to invent double italics so I can accent words while being heavily sarcastic.)] And! Gasp! Did you know of his special power to [Double italics begin] have an un-mimicable expression?? [Double italics end] (My sister and I were practicing the Moss Is Evil face.)(I have the best little sister in the southern hemisphere. Maybe.)(What? It's HARD. You try mimic that expression without giggling!)

And I do believe you forgot the not-so-urban legend of the probably-evil moss... (But it's VERY probably evil! Like at least 0.00000000000001% probably! Which is a LOT more than 0.0000000000000000000000000000001%, which is approximately the likelihood of me gaining superpowers within the next year!)

Um.... No offence of course... Just being very heavily sarcastic here! Also very heavily way too busy laughing to think properly!

--

Okay. But seriously.... Um... Are creepypastas urban legends? I guess not... They have authors who do not try to convince you their stories are real.... But Slenderman is maybe an urban legend. There are at least a few people who believe he's real... I think... I dunno.

I think I've read about a couple of Lady In White type ghosts? And that big black dog... And several other miscellaneous ghosts... Oh yeah, and aliens. And vampires! I used to be terrified of vampires when I was six. But no local legends here... Um... I read a couple of Japanese urban legends? I think they were called Tomimo's Hell and Kuchisake-Onna or something like that. Remember, say yes, then when she asks again, say "average."

Do Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa's Elves, That Monster That's The Reason We Burn Red Paper That Makes Loud Popping Noises Every Chinese New Year (I think it's Nian) and the Man In The Moon count as urban legends?

• Posted at:

{ACCOUNT ABANDONED}

latesunshine25 now

The'res the legend of a mass-murdering pyhsco's ghost.

They say,every Halloween,during the Witching Hour,the ghost prowls,looking for victims who've disregarded his legend. The next day,there's no remains of the victims,exept..a finger with the initals DGH scrawled on it in black marker.

• Posted at:

Nevermore

I am:

An unwanted

A Special

Creepypasta

Queen of horror stories & teller of morbid jokes

Proud Slytherin

"You're just as sane as I am."-Luna Lovegood

"Either find a way or make one."

"And Montrasaur is like DUDE INDEED"-Red

@Nevermore (P.S Edgar Allen Poe is my favourite writer)

...That sounds suspiciously like complete and utter swear-word-meaning-the-feces-of-a-male-bovine-animal.

• Posted at:

{ACCOUNT ABANDONED}

latesunshine25 now

Ooh... *rubs hands together* This should be fun.

Anyone out there heard of the White Lady? No? Let me tell you about her.

Anyway, she's often depicted as a woman with long (and i mean LONG) black hair that covers her face and wearing a white dress. She was a young woman who was killed in a car accident on Balete Drive, a street on Quezon City, Manila.

Any taxi driver who dared drive their taxi on Balete Drive at night might run into the White Lady. She either appears in the backseat, or asks them for a ride and disappears without a trace. Whatever the case, you better beware, since she's a death omen.

• Posted at:

apolaka

some random dork i guess

Mayari

surprisingly has critical thinking skills

Hana

no please put away that sharp tongue and don't stick it in my torso

"aw, i wanted to bigger stick it"

~morningstar (< our collective name)

O.O .....I had no clue,Rain..Blame the neighbor..he told it to me.

• Posted at:

Nevermore

I am:

An unwanted

A Special

Creepypasta

Queen of horror stories & teller of morbid jokes

Proud Slytherin

"You're just as sane as I am."-Luna Lovegood

"Either find a way or make one."

"And Montrasaur is like DUDE INDEED"-Red